The History of Moore Park Inn
Armidale of 1845 was described in the journal of visiting Lord Bishop of Australia, WG Broughton, as thus: “The settlement consists of 12 or 14 scattered cottages, principally composed of timber, and the roofs of bark. Among them is a reasonably convenient Inn more substantially built, and a large store is in the course of erection.”
The store in question was Gilchrist’s store, and it was here that John Moore started work after arriving in Armidale in 1846. He was born in Arnagh, Ireland, and immigrated to the colonies as a lad.
By 1854, the population of Armidale had increased to about 700 and during these early years John Moore became established. He purchased Gilchrist’s store in 1857 and developed many other interests, among them a flourmill. With hard work and diligence, he became a very wealthy man. He was a Justice of the Peace by 1863, and Mayor of Armidale a record eight times. His philanthropy was legendary. Many early prospectors and settlers survived by the rations and assistance he gave them whilst they were endeavouring to establish themselves. He and they shared a vision – to develop Armidale into a thriving and successful community.